Every year, the incident response team at Verizon Enterprise Solutions releases their highly-anticipated Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR), providing a wealth of data on real-world security incidents, data breaches, and the trends driving both.
Here are some highlights from the report:
- 58% of data breach victims are small businesses
- Healthcare organizations account for nearly a fourth of all data breaches
- The following are the three most common types of data compromised during the breaches Verizon’s team investigated:
- Personally identifiable information (PII) – (36%)
- Payment card info — (34%)
- Banking info — (13%)
- The latest Malware trends:
- At least 37% of malware hashes appear only once
- Malware use is down 21% from last year
- 49% of malware was installed via email
- 39% of malware incidents were ransomware infections
- Verizon’s team estimated that, of the breaches they investigated featuring a social engineering component, 70 percent involved phishing and 20 percent involved pretexting
The full report is available for download below.